PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Monday, 15 September 2014
  2 Replies
  521 Visits
  Subscribe
I recently noticed on my Shakespeare Pro App that the category of Shakespeare's Sources has been added to Chronology of Shakespeare's Works. This is extremely helpful and I want to thank the developers of PlayShakespeare and the Shakespeare app for adding this. But I do have a question. It says that "many historical source materials can be downloaded at PlayShakespeare.com". But I guess this refers to the sources for the play texts themselves, not to the sources of the plays. Is that accurate? Are the texts of Shakespeare's sources available on the website? If not, can anyone suggest a good website for finding the texts of such sources (as, say, Hall's Union of the Houses of Lancaster and York)? It would be very helpful to have such a central resource available on the internet.
9 years ago
·
Hello David,

The historical source material is confirmed and presumed material Shakespeare himself used when writing the plays. Some of those are in the library here:

http://www.playshakespeare.com/library

The play texts on this site obviously didn't come from Shakespeare's original sources, but were the result of an editorial process by our team. The sources used for the PlayShakespeare.com editions are listed here:

http://www.playshakespeare.com/text-sources

Union of the Houses of Lancaster and York is on our list of documents to add to the library, but we don't know when it will be added yet (hopefully soon).
9 years ago
·
Thank you for the prompt response. I look forward to seeing the text of a number of Shakespeare's sources added, since a good number of them are tough to come by. Thanks for what is on the site. It is great.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app