PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Wednesday, 04 July 2007
  2 Replies
  3.1K Visits
  Subscribe
I was just looking into the history of early opera, which starts with several versions of Orpheus and Eurydice just around the year 1600 (well, a couple of years later, but still within WS's lifetime), and I was struck by how much the death of Eurydice resembles the death of Ophelia. The whole thing with "therewith fantastic garlands did she make" is there; only she steps on a venomous serpent instead of falling into a brook. But Ophelia's way of dying sure seems inspired by the Eurydice story.

Does anyone know if it's ever been discussed that Ophelia may be supposed to be a Eurydice type of character?
16 years ago
·
Certainly there has been discussion of the 'type' although I don't know of any direct connection.

Most of the Opera versions around the time are Italian - and didn't get to England in time to influence Shakey's writing - but Shakespeare could well have had some common source in mind.

In fact, 'Opera' was not really performed in England.

There were Italian musicians (or musicians of Italian origin - Jewish by the way) as far back as Henry 8 - but the music of England as we know it, doesn't reflect the 'new' of Montiverdi.
16 years ago
·
Brain working slowly these days!
Of course, Ovid!
The story is in Ovid - but without the flowers - so I'd plumb for a 'no connection' myself. :x
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app