PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Sunday, 24 July 2011
  1 Replies
  1K Visits
  Subscribe
The title says it all: "The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark." Because he is Prince of Denmark he is not free to carve for himself. He is subject to the voice of Denmark - and that voice had been loosed out of hell to speak of horrors.

Hamlet, like all the other major characters, is untrue to himself. When he is himself, he is like Horatio, a student from Wittenberg. But as he said, Horatio, or I do forget myself. He does forget himself. He erases himself and his humanist education (all saws of books, all forms, all pressures past, that youth and observation copied there) from his own brain and there in the book and volume of his brain he writes his father's commandment (the voice of Denmark, loosed out of Hell to speak of horrors, to breathe contagion, unfolding the secrets of his prison-house that he was forbid to tell to mortal ears). Hamlet is from himself taken away.

When he is not "from himself taken away," Hamlet is a rational humanist scholar from Wittenberg. But Hamlet erases that side of himself from the book and volume of his brain and replaces it with the commandment of his warlike father. Thereafter all of Hamlet's soliloquies are really debates between the warring sides of his divided soul. Hamlet is a valiant soldier of the spirit, fighting a desperate internal battle to defend the sovereignty of his soul.

In the "my thoughts be bloody" soliloquy: (4,4,38-68)

Hamlet the scholar says,

Sure, he that made us with such large discourse,
Looking before and after, gave us not
That capability and god-like reason
To fust in us unused.

But Prince Hamlet, the soldier-son of a warlike king scoffs at thinking too precisely and concludes:

My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!

A gravedigger was hired on the very day that Hamlet emerged from his mother's womb, which was the same day his father put old Fortinbras into the womb of earth (his grave), thus acquiring land "that was and is the question of these wars" and which was Hamlet's inheritance, figuratively a graveyard, like the part of Poland not big enough to cover the dead from the impending war over that same land.

BERNARDO (1.1.121-124)

I think it be no other but e'en so:
Well may it sort that this portentous figure
Comes armed through our watch; so like the king
that was and is the question of these wars.

That is Hamlet's dilemma - whether "to be or not to be," like the Ghost, "so like the king that was and is the question of these wars."

In the end, Hamlet won that battle for the sovereignty of his soul. (Please see Chaste Treasure in the Womb of Earth and The Rebirth of Hamlet.)

Then with his dying words Hamlet proved that he was not "so like the king THAT was and IS THE QUESTION of these wars." He passed his inheritance of blood-soaked dirt along with the voice of Denmark to Fortinbras - without a war, thus saving the lives of thousands of his countrymen.

The arrogant and cowardly Prince Fortinbras, who would send thousands of commoners to their graves for his "honour." is shocked that, at the Danish Court, "so many princes" have died. In contrast, Hamlet has just saved the lives of thousands of commoners by refusing to be so like the "honourable" Fortinbras.

Even to this day, we are still so conditioned to bow to the divine rights of princes and presidents that Hamlet's concession to Fortinbras seems "dishonourable." But why should the common people go to their graves by the thousands for a straw, for a piece of ground not big enough to bury the dead, for the "honour" of pampered princes and pompous presidents?

Well may it sort that this portentous figure
Comes armed through our watch; so like the king
that was and is the question of these wars.

Hamlet later alluded to old Jephtha .

Hamlet
Am I not i' the right, old Jephthah?
. . .
Hamlet
. . .
'It came to pass, as most like it was,

"As most like it was" sounds like "so like the king that was."
Hamlet later said "The king is a thing," so substitute "it" for "the king that" and "so like the king that was" becomes "so like it was" which is synonymous with "as most like it was." ("The king is a thing" also helps explain "how the wheel becomes it," derived from "the cease of majesty . . . it is a massy wheel.";)
The story of Jephtha, in Judges 11, sounds most like the story of the king that was and is the question of these wars. The Ammonites were preparing for war against Israel to recover land Israel had taken from them, just as young Fortinbras was preparing for war to recover of us, by strong hand and terms compulsatory, those foresaid lands so by his father lost in the fatal duel with old King Hamlet.

Judges 11.12
... What hast thou to do with me, that thou art come against me to fight in my land?

Judges 11.13
...Because Israel took away my land... now therefore restore those lands again

It is worth noting that Shakespeare took pains to let us know that there had been a 30-year interval between the time old Fortinbras died and the time young Fortinbras came to reclaim those lands by strong hand and terms compulsatory. There was also a 30-year between the time Queen Mary died and the time her widower, Prince Phillip of Spain, sent the Spanish Armada to attempt to reclaim England by strong hand and terms compulsatory.

Please see
http://www.thyorisons.com/#Nutshell - Hamlet in a Nutshell - Hamlet Is an Anti-War Play
http://www.thyorisons.com/#Terms_Compulsatory - Terms Compulsatory
11 years ago
·
You are putting "Armada" and "anti-war" in the same context... :huh:

Shakespeare was a fool. The Armada were a bunch of fools. England, at the time, was government by complete and utter sociopaths. Completely backwards what you are saying.

Everyone in Hamlet dies. It's a tragedy. Hamlet is sticking his fingers in dead human body parts. He's dragging dead bodies around, and having a flipping balls good time.

Shakespeare cheated on his wife countless times, neglected his family, his son died, and he was totally anti-christian. If you are a humanist of his time, then you are worse, you are a satanist, because all the humanists were cutting innocent little Christian women and children into pieces and putting their heads on pikes. Evil savages.

Shakespeare was a savage and a pervert that belonged in prison.

Thank you. Have a good day. "Hamlet is an anti-war play" no thank you Sir. Hamlet was a pro-war, pro-retardation, pro-sociopath devil backside licking play.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app