PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Figurative Language in King Lear

Figurative Language in King Lear 6 years 9 months ago #1533

• kelcb22
  • Junior Player
  • Thank you received: 2
I was given 4 thorough study passages for King Lear. In hese passages I am suppossed to identify figures of speech and other techniques Shakespeare uses to "paint word pictures" The passages are

Act 1 scene 1 lines 37-106 (1.1:37-106)
Lear/ Goneril/ Regan/ Cordelia
"meantime we shall..."
Note how revealing the daughters speeches are. Regan says she is "the self-same metal" as her sister. The lady is perceptive wouldn't you say.

1.1:287-312
Goneril/ Regan
"sister, it is not little..." Note the effectiveness here of Shakespeares creating a scence in which these two unprincipled sisters revel over the stupidity of their father, tragically reminding eachother that he is worse than they expected. Here Shakespeare uses a litote?? saying what is opposite of what is intended and then negating it.

1.4:105-205
Lear/ Fool
"let me hire him too...."
Note the clever exchanges here, especially in final lines of the fool who claims he would be anything in the world but a fool, but he certainly wouldn't be king, who is the ultimate fool. Description of the arrival of Goneril is worth price of the entire play: "thou has pared thy wit o' both sides, and left nothing i' the middle, here comes one o' the parings ."

2.4:205-288
Regan/ Goneril/ Lear
"i pray you father..."
Note how family relationships have deteriorated rapidly; selfish interests have resorted to brutal measures, concluding in Lear's wonderful speech on human diginity. Life is reduced to its bare necessities, we can live on a mouthful of grain andsmall amount of water, but if we are to bring our lives that which is inspiring, we must labor and sacrifice for those elements that edify. read with care Lear's wonderful pleading: "o reason not the need.."

I have given you the first few words of each of these passages because not all books are numbered the same way. The information under the first few words of the passage are what was given to me to help me complete this assignment. I am suppossed to write at least 2 paragraphs for each passage, one paragragh in which i identify literary techniques employed and the other discuss how these techniques effectively emphasize the important issues being presented by Shakespeare. I am also to comment on his success in using sound patterns to give ideas artistic emphasis. Any ideas, comments or input is greatly appreciated thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Figurative Language in King Lear 6 years 9 months ago #1537

• kelcb22
  • Junior Player
  • Thank you received: 2
It has been brought to my attention that my posts seem like I am wanting my homework done for me. I just want to let other users know that I am not wanting my homework done for me! I am a home schooled student and I am just trying to get a discussion going on some of the questions I am given to think about and analyzie after each play. I have my own opinion and would just like to hear someone elses opinion and hopefully be able to have a meaningful discussion that allows us all to think about what Shakespeare wanted his audience to learn. I am also looking to enrich my learning experience while studing Shakespeare. So if anyone would like to reply I will post again so we can start a discussion, as you will bounce ideas off eachother.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds

Banner