PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Tuesday, 28 August 2007
  3 Replies
  5.8K Visits
  Subscribe
:oops: i must say, i really love their love story.. but, its sooo tragic!! :shock:
15 years ago
·
To be honest, I don't see it happening in real life, and certainly not now anymore. Unfortunately, one thing I have noticed about our society today is an ever-growing and very present cynicism and also kind of an indifference towards love. Love isn't seen as anything special anymore by most people, and some don't even believe in it anymore, and somehow I think that tendency is growing because ... I don't know, people just throw about with love. I think if it got that far today, a lot of people who, if they thought their partner were dead, would maybe cry for a while then go find a different one. That is, at least, the impression that I get from a lot of people that belong to the generations that live now. Also, Romeo was what, 14, 15? He would be playing videogames today. :lol:
15 years ago
·
Also, Romeo was what, 14, 15? He would be playing videogames today. :lol:

Sign me up! Online Nintendo Wi-Fi! :lol:

But I think it could happen in real life. I've read fanfictions that have the same storyline.
14 years ago
·
I agree with doyle3255's assessment--overall; with a couple of provisos having to do with looking at it from the outside as opposed to experiencing it from the inside. There will always be those who will gainsay “Love at first sight” and the power such a state might have, if it's truly believed in, to affect the result of all sorts of ends.

Cynicism about matters of the heart and "...indifference towards love..." is growing, as far as viewing it as "..anything special anymore...". But the attitude itself is nothing new. Arthur Brooke, author of Shakespeare’s story source for the play, blames it on the Lovers’ “unhonest desires”. But anyone who has felt what it is that we might assume R&J were feeling, knows that choice & behavior in an individual can be completely ruled when one is ’stricken’. Nothing else matters at the moment–it’s truly human. I think Shakespeare knew it–a good percentage of 154 sonnets is devoted to the subject.

And although filial obligation has lost a lot of its standing, its comparative demand for allegiance can still be a very powerful influence on the decision-making of those who feel its tug. Especially if they are somewhat powerLESS, for a long time to come, to do very much about making their (very real to them) "dream come true" under the conditions of their present circumstances. This conflict could still lead those affected by the "love condition" to adopt a state of mind governed by a level of impetuosity equal to that of R&J.

Also, if we can imagine the totality of effect such a state, honestly and wholeheartedly believed to be TRUE, might have on a 14 or 15 year old, we might be able to imagine him seeking out much more desirable ways to spend his time than playing video games.(nod nod, wink, wink) This individual has found something quite a bit more powerful, in its addiction, than what the "virtual" is able to afford.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app