PlayShakespeare.com
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: stage play on dvd

stage play on dvd 6 years 3 months ago #1965

Hi, Im looking for a video version of an actual stage production for Hamlet,Julies Ceaser,Romeo & Juliet. Does it exists?

Are there any other stage recordings video (dvd)of Shakespeare's plays?

Regards

nitin
The administrator has disabled public write access.

stage play on dvd 6 years 3 months ago #1966

Welcome.

There are a number of videos/DVDs of stage productions. The BBC did the entire canon and most of them are on a stage. You can find most of them on Amazon.com. Are you looking for something specific?

stage play on dvd 6 years 3 months ago #1969

• akfarrar
  • Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
There are few good recordings of stage productions (sticking the camera in the audience just doesn't work).

The BBC Shakespeare was done for the camera - but with the idea of doing the whole scene in one take - so reproducing the dynamic of a stage production.
Some of the earliest kept rather rigidly to this - and all three of your requests fit that.

On audio there is: The Essential Shakespeare Live: The Royal Shakespeare Company in Performance (British Library) (which is recordings of live performance by the RSC)

There is the Macbeth [1978] - very like the original staging.

and any of Laurence Olivier's are very 'Theatrical'.

Brook's Hamlet is based on his Paris production.

Burton's Hamlet is a little dated - but again, a film of the stage play rather than a film.

I don't think there's a decent Julius Caesar on film.

There used to be a Romeo and Juliet on Video from Canada - not great but OK: I've not found it in DVD. And you'll find a lot more ballet versions on film than Shakespeare!

stage play on dvd 6 years 3 months ago #1975

akfarrar wrote:
There are few good recordings of stage productions (sticking the camera in the audience just doesn't work).
<snip>There used to be a Romeo and Juliet on Video from Canada - not great but OK: I've not found it in DVD. And you'll find a lot more ballet versions on film than Shakespeare!
So what would be the best filmed version of R&J on DVD? A filmed stage version, or a more cinematic presentation ala Baz Luhrmann (1996) or Franco Zeffirelli (1968)?

stage play on dvd 6 years 3 months ago #1977

• akfarrar
  • Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
I've enjoyed both of those in the cinema - but would probably give the Zeffirelli the edge (and it is a close thing - the shere energy and excitement of Mr L.s is hard to beat).
Orson Welles is the model of how to approach any filming - the BBC 'ideal' true to the spirit works - but not, I would guess, on a big screen.
  • Page:
Moderators: William Shakespeare
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds