PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #1999

• rocksta
  • Neophyte
I need to write a script telling the story of Romeo and Juliet for Thursday, but the time limit for our version of the play is 15 minutes... How can I start, what plots should I include in the script... just generally, how can I shorten it to 15 minutes?

I am so desperated... thanks for any help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2000

• Joe M.
  • Expert Player
  • Thank you received: 1
rocksta wrote:
I need to write a script telling the story of Romeo and Juliet for Thursday, but the time limit for our version of the play is 15 minutes...

Is it an honest to goodness 'script', or just a narrative that's 15 min. long? Or was there no format offered as an example or way it should be done?

If a script, then the only way I see is to write in a character who creates bridges of narration-- ie synopsizes--and very short exchanges between the major characters. Shakespeare used one often--why not you? In fact, the Prologue at the beginning of R&J tells the whole story in one monologue--although somewhat more cryptically than what I think you might need.
As far as scenes--I'd cull what I could from them and let the Prologue lead into an already ongoing scene where most of what happens has already been explained by him/her--pick a beginning, middle, and ending exchange of lines that exemplifies , in a nutshell, then on to the next bit.
But then, as I said, that's the only way I can see it --at first thought. It doesn't mean there isn't another way to do it.

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2002

well, you definitely need the swordfight between the Montagues and the Capulets, then move into the balcony seen between Romeo and Juliet, then move to the wedding, then to the final deathbed scene.

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2003

• rocksta
  • Neophyte
shakespeareinlove: Thank you so much! That's what I wanted... to have someone tell me what scenes should we act
Willshill, idea of narrator telling words of prologue while actors perform is great ! i'll use it

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2004

thank you. I had to do the entire play last year in 9th grade, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2005

• rocksta
  • Neophyte
shakespeareinlove wrote:
then move into the balcony seen between Romeo and Juliet, then move to the wedding
What scene, in what act is it? I mean, the balcony scene

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2006

ummm...Act 2, Scene 2. (didn't remember that. Had to google it :lol: )

"Romeo & Juliet" in 15 minutes 6 years 5 months ago #2008

Rocksta -- here's some inspiration for your 15 minute endeavor: http://www.reducedshakespeare.com/

Let us know how it turns out!
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Banner