PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ariel subconcious or real

Ariel subconcious or real 3 years 2 months ago #5257

I just read and saw The Tempest and it seems that much is left to interpretation. What I read and what I saw were both the same meanings and questions I had experiencing both.It seemed like the character's relationships are not all developed and we have to depend on Prospero to inform us. Is Ariel part of Prospero’s imagination or is he a real fairy? Also, is Prospero avenging Antonio because in the end he forgives Alonso too? Prospero says he gets his dukedom back. Didn’t he just want to be Duke of Milan again and not King?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ariel subconcious or real 3 years 2 months ago #5258

Ariel is a "real" fairy (as much as real fairies go). He/she (played by either a man or a woman) has been conjured up by Prospero as a sort of indentured servant (having freed him from the evil witch, Sycorax) while he plans his revenge.

Naturally, Prospero is angry with both Alonso and Antonio, but betrayal by his own brother is unthinkable. Yet Prospero probably comes to terms with the fact that he became obsessed/sidetracked with the magical arts instead of his duties as a duke (Antonio, hungry for power, took advantage of this). He forgives them both because he himself is partially to blame and he wants to be merciful. He decides to release Ariel and forsake the magical arts to return to his rightful position as the Duke of Milan.

Re: Ariel subconcious or real 3 years 2 months ago #5260

Okay so Ariel is real. Thank you Mr. Shakespeare. Another question I have is about Prospero. Is the author writing about himself in the character of Prospero?

Re: Ariel subconcious or real 3 years 2 months ago #5263

There are some parallels there, but I don't think it's supposed to be Shakespeare himself.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Banner