Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: In performance- intermission?

In performance- intermission? 1 year 5 months ago #6729

• Marshall
  • Neophyte
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi everyone,

I'm gearing up for a production opening in July, starting rehearsals in about 5 weeks. I am currently weighing where to put intermission. I've only seen one live performance of THE TEMPEST - the Plummer version (and only the taped version on Netflix) which put the intermission after the Ariel-as Harpy scene. I personally felt this was late in the show, as there was a 90 minute act 1 and a 45 minute Act 2.

Currently, my strongest option is after 3.1 (Miranda and Ferdinand), and bringing the audience back for a Stephano/Trinculo/Caliban scene.

Thoughts on these or any other option are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

In performance- intermission? 1 year 5 months ago #6730

(First: I am a “non-professional” reader and Shakespeare theater visitor from a non- English speaking – but Shakespeare enthusiastic - country, currently reading “The Tempest” intensively.)
In the Ariel- as- Harpy scene (in Act 3, Scene 3) I feel the special tension between reality with human weakness and wickedness (Alonso, Sebastian, Antonio in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3 and in Act 3, Scene 2 with Caliban, Stephano, Trinculo) and the spirit in the character of Ariel, who comments the attitude of men, as a character of a not visible world, a character of a fairy- tale. I suppose, this is a “key- scene” in the Play, that needs a particular time- position on stage and we- the audience – need all our concentration.
I can imagine, that an intermission after Act 3, Scene 1 (Miranda and Ferdinand) and bringing the audience back to Act 3, Scene 2 with Caliban, Stephano and Trinculo, as you describe it, could give us- the audience – the concentration and interest for this special Ariel- as- Harpy scene.
I wish you all the best for your production.
Annette Sch.

In performance- intermission? 1 year 5 months ago #6737

• Ron Severdia
  • Scholar
  • Thank you received: 22
For what it's worth, I agree with where you have it....after 3.1.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Banner