PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Saturday, 10 July 2010
  3 Replies
  1.5K Visits
  Subscribe
I'm currently rehearsing the rold of Speed for a production of Two Gentlemen of Verona. I've searched around for ideas on how to play him, but haven't found much. I've seen the BBC production, but it's very dated and not the concept we're doing. So I'm wondering if there are other productions available or just tips on playing Speed.

Thanks!
13 years ago
·
Hi Ron,

I'm not a great source for advice on this role but wanted to give you what little I had. I was in a small production of it many years ago as Proteus. We had a very talented comic/clown performing the role of speed who made the role stand-out via his physical comedy, people were laughing at what he did as much as said. I remember him ranging instantly from manic movements to still contemplation and used his first scene to make a strong connection with the audience, which he levered in following scenes. I'm sorry I cannot give specific advice here - hopefully you hear from someone who has performed the role.

Good-luck!

rus
13 years ago
·
Thanks, rusty!

I'd been contemplating both the "manic movement" (kinda like a Dennis Hopper in Apocalypse Now) and the "slowness" in certain parts—like during his speech to Valentine about all the love signs (kinda slow like Deliverance). I'd just been thinking after today's rehearsal to find a way to float back and forth between the two approaches, so it's interesting to hear that might be something similar to what your Speed was doing.

Nine times out of ten, the role is played in a pretty burlesque fashion and our director doesn't want anything like that. So it's a challenge!
13 years ago
·
in terms of switching between the approaches- if you are looking to do this mid-scene, try having him distractable
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app