Shakespeare App FAQs
I have a problem with my app. How can I get support?
Sometimes your Shakespeare app may crash due to a bug, a failed upgrade, or a variety of other reasons. If this crashing is consistent, try the following before contacting support:
- Restart your device - Hold the power/sleep button until the Slide to Power Off message appears to turn your device off. Wait 30 seconds and power it back on using the same button.
- Perform a hard reboot of your device - To perform a hard reboot of your device, hold down the Home button and power/sleep button at the same time until the device starts to reboot or about 10 seconds (ignore the Slide to Power Off message).
I lost my upgrade to Pro. How can I get it back?
If you've lost or deleted or your upgraded Pro app, you can get it back by doing one of the following:
- If you purchased the upgrade using the in-app upgrade, reinstall the free version and upgrade in the same way to get the Pro version back. Your credit card will not be charged.
- If you purchased the Pro version directly via the Apple App Store, you should visit the Shakespeare Pro page and redownload the app. Your credit card will not be charged.
WARNING: DO NOT USE A DIFFERENT UPGRADE METHOD THAN YOU ORIGINALLY USED. This is the way Apple's upgrade/purchasing system works and you have to use the same method or Apple will charge your credit card a second time. Apple's policy is all sales are final and there are no refunds (but you might be able to convince them otherwise).
I bought the Pro app on one device and now I want to use it on another. Can I do that?
Yes, Apple allows this as long as you do two things:
- Use the same Apple ID on both devices.
- You must use the same method to upgrade as you originally used to purchase the app in order not to be charged (see the previous question "I lost my upgrade to Pro. How can I get it back?")
How do I turn off alerts or turn off requests for a review? How can I change the type of alerts?
To turn off alerts or the reminder to rate/review the app on the App Store on iOS7, perform the following steps:
- On your device, go to Settings > Notification Center.
- Scroll down the list of apps until you see the Shakespeare or Shakespeare Pro app. Tap the icon to view the app notification settings.
- Select None for the Alert Style. Slide all the other options to the off position (to the left).
The latest versions have a toggle win the app settings to disable the app requesting a review. Open the app, tap settings, and turn off Disable app review reminders
How do I turn off the reminder to review or rate the app on the App Store?
When the reminder appears, just press the "No, stop bugging me!" button. In the next version, there will be a button in the app Settings to disable app review reminders.
How do I turn on or off the Quote of the Day?
Go to the Shakespeare app settings and scroll down the Quote Settings section. Slide the Quote of the Day setting to the on or off position.
Why are line numbers different from the printed books of Shakespeare's plays?
Line numbers are NOT the same between different editions of Shakespeare’s plays, though they are relatively close. The Riverside, Arden, Folger, Shakespeare Pro and other editions all have slightly different line numbering due to the way each editor approaches the texts. See this article about Shakespeare line numbers for more information on comparing editions.
If the plays are just text, why is the app so big?
The play texts themselves are quite small, but the search function requires that the texts be indexed. This indexing does an advanced analysis of every word in the complete works and sets things up in a way that allows the search feature to quickly locate words and phrases. If this wasn't done, searching for a phrase would take upwards of 30 minutes and may never succeed! Even though iOS devices have decent processors, they still need help when sifting large amounts of data (like the complete works of Shakespeare).
How do I restore my app to its default state?
If you want to restore your app to its default state when it was first installed, go the the Settings and scroll to the bottom to find the "Reset to defaults" option. You will be asked to confirm before the app is reset.
WARNING: If you are using Shakespeare Pro, this will also delete all of your bookmarks. Your notes will be saved. Be sure to create a backup of your bookmarks.
How do I share or import bookmarks?
To share your bookmarks with other users, open any play and tap the share icon in the upper right corner. Select "Share Bookmarks" and the app will automatically create an email with your bookmarks as an attachment. The recipient will get and email with the bookmarks attached.
To import bookmarks, open the email on your device and tap the bookmark attachment. Choose the Shakespeare Pro app icon to begin the import. You should receive a confirmation on successful import. Bookmarks having the same same will not be imported as duplicates.
Important: Shakespeare Pro is required to create, share, and import bookmarks.
How do I create a backup of my bookmarks?
Should you ever lose your device or lose your data, you can create a backup of your bookmarks by sharing them with yourself. Simply, send yourself the sharing email with the bookmarks attachment to import at any time. Bookmarks that already exist will not be replaced and only the missing items will be added.
What is the Shakespeare Passport?
The Shakespeare Passport is a virtual ticket and discount coupon you can use at participating museums and theatres. Registration through the app is simple (your information is not shared or sold) and displays the Passport bar code. Show this screen at participating venues. For more information, visit http://shakespearepassport.com.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPad, and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.