PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform

Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform 4 years 3 months ago #6574

• Jessica M
  • Neophyte
I am a High School student. Every year in our theatre class, our director lets us perform any Shakespeare scene of our choosing. We then take all of our scenes and compile them into a show titled "A Night of Shakespeare". Last year, I performed Macbeth Act V scene i as Lady Macbeth. For those of you who don't know, this was her crazy scene most recognized from her line "Out, damned spot!". I had a blast performing this scene. One thing I really appreciated about this scene is that it stood out from everyone else's scenes.
Anyway, I am trying to find a new scene for next year. It has to have at least one female in it (me) and can have up 5 characters. Again, I am looking for a scene that stands out from many of the other scenes that are most performed by High school students. For example, I am not particularly interested in doing a scene where I confess my love for someone because everyone and their dog is going to end up performing something similar to that. Again, key word is unique. I would love to hear any ideas anyone has to contribute because the stuff I have looked at isn't interesting me. Also, if anyone has ideas on how to actually perform it (for example, he lets us put the scene in any time period we want, such as Romeo and Juliet performed in the Old West, or Hamlet in the style of Tim Burton) that would be awesome as well.
Thank you for your time and contribution!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform 4 years 3 months ago #6575

• Ron Severdia
  • Scholar
  • Thank you received: 23
There are a lot of options...

Midsummer Night's Dream 5.1 (the Pyramus & Thisbe "play"...multiple characters, mix and match genders at will)

Measure for Measure 3.1 (Claudio asks Isabella for the unthinkable to save his life)

Winter's Tale 4.4 (a humorous exchange between Florizel and Perdita)

As You Like It 3.2 (a giddy dialogue with Celia and Rosalind in the forest)

Merry Wives of Windsor 4.2 (Mrs. Page and Mrs. Ford disguise up Falstaff to hide him from being discovered by the jealous Ford)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jessica M

Re: Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform 4 years 3 months ago #6576

• Wayne Myers
  • Neophyte
  • Thank you received: 2
The scenes between Viola and Olivia in "Twelfth Night" are the most romantic and sensual Shakespeare wrote. Their relationship, which plays out over a three-month period, is extraordinary. There is also a power struggle between the two women in these scenes, as the power of each woman over the other shifts several times. Writing about Timothy Sheader's 2005 production of "Twelfth Night" in London, the Guardian's Lyn Gardner said that "despite the final paring off of Viola and Orsino and Olivia and Sebastian, there is always going to be a third person in each of these two couplings." Here's your chance to show how strange a comedy "Twelfth Night" really is!

Re: Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform 4 years 3 months ago #6578

• Christopher Adams
  • Neophyte
  • Thank you received: 3
A few suggestions:

1. A scene from a rarely-performed play. Take a look at King John, for instance. Both Constance and Queen Elinor have strong parts. Perhaps choose a scene featuring one/both of their characters.

2. Classic choices but interesting: Henry V (5.2)--the Katherine/Henry dialogue (in broken French/English); Henry IV, pt 1 (2.3)--Hotspur/Lady Percy.

3. Reverse-gender casting. Actresses have successfully portrayed Richard II, or Hamlet (among others). Find a part/scene that normally features men, and cast women in the roles.

Re: Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform 4 years 3 months ago #6600

• carole
I have directed several scenes in a unique way - we did the witch scene from Macbeth as Harry Potter, Juliet/Nurse scene as Marcia Brady and Alice, and we have done rap versions of Merchant of Venice and Macbeth. Lots of fun!

Re: Unique Shakespeare Scenes to Perform 4 years 1 month ago #6637

• Jessica M
  • Neophyte
Thank you all for your insightful posts! I was getting so frustrated with searching the internet for a scene that I was tempted to start reading Shakespeare's plays until I found one I liked. You guys have made my life so much easier, so Thanks Again!
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app