PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Wednesday, 28 May 2014
  0 Replies
  465 Visits
  Subscribe
I played two very important roles on the occasion of William Shakespeare’s 450th birth anniversary in
Happy Bard’s Day, a play presented by Black Dog Sparkling Water,
in association with Vodafone, and partnered by t2 at Tollygunge Club on April 26, and at Fortune Select Loudon
on April 27. That of Bottom in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and of Prospero in The Tempest.
The programme started with a scene of mine from A Midsummer Night’s Dream where I play Bottom the weaver.
Nick Bottom is a member of a theatrical troupe known as the Mechanicals, who perform a play within the play.
They are foolish and clumsy men, all of whom are craftsmen in Athens: Bottom, the weaver; Snout, the tinker;
Snug, the joiner; and Peter Quince, the carpenter. Reshmi Bose played Titania to my Bottom.I was the lead actor in the scene where I also sing a song and had the crowd rolling on the floor with laughter..
No mention of this scene is made in the captioned review by Shweta Keshri who started it from the next
scene from A Midsummer Night’s Dream — Hermia and Helena’s fight . Further no mention of my name appears
in the cast mentioned in the report either though I played two major lead roles v.i.z. of Bottom and Prospero.

The reviewer Shweta Keshri has however described about my scene in The Tempest , that of Prospero,Miranda and Caliban though she has conveniently forgotten to credit me in the cast.
Thus In spite of playing major parts in significant
roles in scenes from two plays here - A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest, there was not a whisper
of my contribution in the T2 write up published on Wednesday , May 7 , 2014 |which spelt out almost the rest of the
major cast in detail. That is what I got in return after six months of diligent rehearsing and thankless hard work .
I feel unrewarded, uncredited , left out and ignored !
I will lose out neither money nor renown by staying away from this in future since it has fetched me none of those!
The least I expected to salvage out of this wreck was a bit of recognition and praise of my performance which
entirely went unnoticed to the press. There is no comment on any actor's performance either.I wish those who have seen me act here might agree with me .
Did I not deserve at least a mention of my name in the cast let alone my performance as Bottom and Prospero ?
This was the most unkindest cut of all !
As the Bard himself wrote - “Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls:
Who steals my purse steals trash; ’tis something, nothing;
’twas mine, ’tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him,
And makes me poor indeed.”

http://gaumoi.simplesite.com/

Gautam Moitra
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app