Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Authorship challenge

Authorship challenge 9 years 4 weeks ago #1358

• Mike thomas
  • Senior Player
Here is a little test of wits. See what you think:

The ring

Good Queene Besse loved Robert Devereux very much. It is thought that Robert too loved the Queene. A rumour, started by a Royal groom says that Robert would arrive by horse, and was seen kissing her Royal hand in one of her rooms.

Robert, whose title was the second Earl of Essex was lovingly called 'Essex' by good Queene Besse.

So profound was her love that the Queene gave Robert a token of her feelings for him. One day, after some profound thought, the Queene took a very special Rynge from her forefinger, and sent it to Robert in a letter, promising him that whenever he needed her help he had only to return it to its rightful place: on the Queene's right hand.

The Regent's act caused Robert to devote himself to the woman, almost as a slave, and from the instant of that act he served her without question.

Robert knew that by her posting the Rynge to him, a part of her very essence came with it, but by removing it from her finger it seemed to Robert that, as a result, she seemed somehow less Royal, and less than a Queene. More of a woman.

He knew full well that the Rynge and Queene were always seen together, the Queene kept the Rynge close by her side.

It is said that everyone in The Castel Royl knew this, from the lowest (but fairest) creatures, whose only desire was to increase the comfort of those at the top: the high and mighty, whose main aim in life, it seemed, was to lie around, play games, sleep, hunt with pretty maidens and bath in hot springs.

Robert gained the Rynge but she, on the other hand, lost something intangible, and yet she believed that she too had gained. He found this out when one day, whilst seeing her, she held one of his letters of love in her left hand, and she said "God blesse Essex, for I have gained a great gift which I shall treasure. Quid pro quo. O, I have not my golden circle, I have not my Rynge on my finger, but I have found something in my inner self which I thought lost."

She loved Robert in two distinct ways, one, which cannot yet be revealed, the other in the manner of the Greeks: the Erotic way, which is named from the little god of love, Eros. This may be the reason why Robert called her his 'Tudor

Rose', on the other hand, it may not.

Little did Robert know that after a campaign across the Irish sea, he would end up helpless in the Tower accused of treason.

* What was it that the Queene lost when she parted with her golden O?

* What did she find in her inner self?

* In which Elizabethan book is The Castel Royl listed?

* Your comments on the proximity of the Rynge to the Queene.

answers marked 'Ring' to:

theminde@btinternet.com

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Authorship challenge 9 years 4 weeks ago #1359

• Mike thomas
  • Senior Player
whoops, forgot about the calculator.

this has the attachment.

source in Vbasic available for free, mail me.

regards
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app