PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Critique of Dating Methods?

Critique of Dating Methods? 2 months 4 days ago #7313

• Geoff Williamson
  • Neophyte
Being new to the authorship debate I find myself confused by the question of methods used for dating the plays. The orthodox dating seems to have taken account of the lifespan of the Stratford man along with other factors such as publication dates, performance dates, availability of probable source materials etc.

If there was a good recent book addressing or critiquing the dating methods used I'd love to get hold of it. I say recent because from what little I've read, research on the plays is a very active area in recent years and could possibly throw up more probable yet 'unorthodox' dates.

Any and all reading suggestions, books or articles, would be much appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Critique of Dating Methods? 2 months 3 days ago #7314

• Ron Severdia
  • Scholar
  • Thank you received: 24
I don't think there's a recent publication that covers all the plays besides the individual editions (Arden, Riverside, Oxford, etc.). E. K. Chambers' book is pretty accurate and it's in the download library here:

www.playshakespeare.com/library/referenc...cts-and-problems-pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoff Williamson

Critique of Dating Methods? 2 months 3 days ago #7315

• Unfoldyourself
  • Scholar
  • Thank you received: 6
Since the various authorship viewpoints tend to argue how the evidence fits their proposed author, they all have some degree of bias. So you need to keep that in mind while also considering their evidence and arguments. From my reading of Baconian literature, the viewpoint can change from one author to the next. Some are okay with the traditional dating. Some earlier writers have made the case that Bacon was involved in writing plays (Shakespeare and otherwise) prior to the traditional dates. The Oxfordians have the greatest need to challenge the traditional dating and I think they’ve done well and contributed a lot to bring that tradition under serious question. One book that has over 80 pages summarizing the challenge to the traditional dating is that found in I Come to Bury Shakespere (2013) by Steven Steinburg. This is an excellent place to start for the non-traditional dating. And very recently the book by Oxfordian scholars Roger Stritmatter and Lynne Kositsky has received a “favorable mainstream review” by the Year’s Work in English Studies published by the Oxford University Press:

shakespeareoxfordfellowship.org/oxfordia...e-mainstream-review/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Geoff Williamson

Critique of Dating Methods? 2 months 3 days ago #7317

• Geoff Williamson
  • Neophyte
Oh my goodness...I'm just trying to come to grips with the Forward by William S. Niederkorn who points out that the authors (Stritmatter & Kositsky) have had acceptances as speakers at two major academic conferences rescinded!

This is off-topic, but really - the cancer of 'no platforming' speakers who don't toe the line has crept this far?

Okay I've had my little outburst. I trust the more I learn about authorship and dating of Shakespeare's works then the less easily shocked I'll be.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 days ago by Geoff Williamson. Reason: Removing abbreviations
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app