PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Alternate staging/settings of Shakespeare?

Alternate staging/settings of Shakespeare? 7 years 5 months ago #4395

• carole
We are doing a scene from Julius Caesar and have decided to set it in the 60's...with JFK in mind.
Anybody seen another setting of a Shakespeare play?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Alternate staging/settings of Shakespeare? 7 years 5 months ago #4428

• Julian Lopez-Morillas
  • Junior Player
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello-- Carole is it?

I played Brutus in a 1988 production for the Berkeley Shakespeare Festival that was directed by Oskar Eustis. Oskar subsequently staged versions with the same theme at Trinity Rep in Providence and the Mark Taper Forum in LA in the early 90's, and he is now the Artistic Director of the New York Shakespeare Festival/Public Theatre.

It was costumed for about 1961 and the concept was "the best and the brightest"-- intellectuals (Brutus) and ideologues (Cassius) quixotically unleashing violence on the body politic out of misplaced idealism. Video monitors around the audience displayed stark black-and-white newsreel footage and real-time closeups of the characters in the public sphere (particularly effective when the funeral orations were made to resemble a press conference), and the media intrusion into politics was exemplified by a Caesar who was a bald, toothless middle-aged man until he put his plate in and toupee on, was laced into a corset and sent before the cameras as a fit, vigorous youngster.

I have plenty more I could say about this production if you have questions. and might be able to furnish a link to a review or a picture or two.

Julian

Re: Alternate staging/settings of Shakespeare? 4 years 5 months ago #6602

• carole
Julian, sounds wonderful! Sorry it took me years to reply. We ended up doing the scene with a red lit scrim in the back flashing with the thunder/lightning, then ended with an electric guitar riff on the Star Spangled Banner. It was very unique.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app