Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: To cook, or not to cook?

To cook, or not to cook? 9 years 3 months ago #1229

• akfarrar
  • Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
Out in the world of Blog I came across this little beauty:
For the umpteenth time today I saw that old cliche about how Shakespeare's works were intended to be performed, not read.

I don't, quite frankly, care a whit was Shakespeare intended. He's long dead.

and:
When you see a performance of Shakespeare you are separating yourself from the original (what Shakespeare did actually mean, to the best of our ability to figure it out) by a few dozen other people's opinions - the director, the actors, the costume designers, the set builders, the production company... At any time, any of them could make a decision that would have Shakespeare spinning in his grave.

To save his blushes, I shan't reveal the sinner!

But, my head has been spinning trying to think of a decent, simple (and clean) metaphor to help ease the poor wretch into an understanding of what a play text is, and isn't.

Best so far - the cooking metaphor (not really the best, but cleanest).

The play text is nothing but a recipe: There are some in the world who, lacking the requisite sense receptors can never get further than the intellectual delights of reading and imagining what the finished dish would taste like - sad really.

Others like to do the cooking - and await the reaction of the diners.

But the true delight awaits those who eat - and never is the same dish served up twice.

Any one top this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app