Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help!

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1936

• akfarrar
  • Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
Anyone know a good source of realistic dates (guesses) for the sonnets?

Preferably on line.

AKF

:?:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1937

• Joe M.
  • Expert Player
Have you checked SHAKSPER? (Global Electronic Shakespeare Conference)
Try a search at: http://www.shaksper.net
Their archives are fairly extensive, and one can usually find authoritative professional expertise on just about any topic a la W.S.

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1939

• akfarrar
  • Professor
Thank you - tried but not much. There is an article locked away on one of the 'pay for' journal sites - I will take a walk to my local university librarian and see if she can access it for me.

What do people think of Gurr and 145?

http://willyshakes.com/sonnet/index.htm

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1941

• paulrobertwagner
  • Senior Player
akfarrar wrote:
Anyone know a good source of realistic dates (guesses) for the sonnets? Preferably on line. AKF :?:
Where can I find a similar on-line resource for the plays?

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1942

• Tue Sorensen
  • Expert Player
akfarrar wrote:
Thank you - tried but not much. There is an article locked away on one of the 'pay for' journal sites - I will take a walk to my local university librarian and see if she can access it for me.

What do people think of Gurr and 145?

http://willyshakes.com/sonnet/index.htm

That this sonnet refers to Anne Hathaway has been referenced in every book and sonnet notation for a long time, and the case for it is indeed strong. Still, I believe that all of Shakespeare's work carries multiple meanings, incl. sonnet 145. So yes, it is probably about Anne Hathaway, but it is probably also about something else. I don't think that discussion is over.

As for the date, Gurr is fairly convincing. I suppose 145 could be the first sonnet. I don't know whether it goes back as far as 1582, though, but it's certainly possible.

As for the closer dating of the individual sonnets; well, it would require a huge investigation into stylism, and even then the evidence would probably be inconclusive. I believe that Shakespeare revised his work continuously. He published the sonnets when he was satisfied with them, and that was in 1609. I think he worked on them all the way up until then. But of course, some would have been finished several years earlier.

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1943

• akfarrar
  • Professor
Best link so far:

http://www2.prestel.co.uk/rey/sonnets.htm

Which also has some of the plays ordered in the graphs.

starting point for Chronology of plays for me is:

http://www.penguinclassics.co.uk/static/cs/uk/10/minisites/shakespeare/readmore/chronology.html

:twisted:

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1944

• paulrobertwagner
  • Senior Player
Thanks, Akfarrar. In looking at the chronology from the Penguin Classics link, it's interesting to see "The Tempest" near the very bottom when it's presented first in the Folio.

BTW, what's your opinion on the source of the chronology: Shakespeare: A Textual Companion, by Stanley Wells and Gary Taylor, with John Jowett and William Montgomery (1987)?

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1946

• Joe M.
  • Expert Player
paulrobertwagner : In looking at the chronology from the Penguin Classics link, it's interesting to see "The Tempest" near the very bottom when it's presented first in the Folio.

I believe--as has been conjectured--that Heminges & Condell thought Shakespeare to have written his own very personal "Swan Song" in The Tempest, and rather than a chronological mistake, H&C placed it first as a sort of embodiment of and tribute to the Playwright. He's been so strongly identified with Prospero, that some actors playing the role have found it theatrically sound enough to deliver Prospero's final speech AS Shakespeare.

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1947

• paulrobertwagner
  • Senior Player
paulrobertwagner wrote:
BTW, what's your opinion on the source of the chronology: Shakespeare: A Textual Companion, by Stanley Wells and Gary Taylor, with John Jowett and William Montgomery (1987)?
Anyone?

Help! 8 years 8 months ago #1949

• akfarrar
  • Professor
Well, I quite like it - but, as with any attempt to do a chronology, there are seriously debatable decisions taken. The early placement of the two comedies is not accepted by everyone - and the issue of Henry VI i don't think is accepted by some: I happen to like both decisions.
  • Page:
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app