The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Act III (Mort's comment moved)

Act III (Mort's comment moved) 9 years 10 months ago #251

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
Comment by Mort selub moved from text page:

It is clear that the attack on the ship bearing Hamlet to England is not a fortuitous one but, rather, a planned one. At the very end of Act III, Hamlet states that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern '...must sweep my way/And marshal me to knavery, Let it work;/For 'tis the sport to have the engineer/Hoist with his own petar;and 't shall go hard/But I will delve one yard below their mines/And blow them to the moon. O, 'tis most sweet/When in one line two crafts directly meet.'
After they sail, Hamlet stealthily obtains the letter that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are to present to the English king. The letter asks England to behead Hamlet forthwith. Hamlet substitutes a letter asking that R and G be put to sudden and immediate death. Then, lo and behold! a pirate ship attacks. Hamlet alone succeeds in boarding the attackers' vessel and no sooner is he aboard than, strangely, the pirates break off the attack and transport Hamlet back to Denmark. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern sail on blithely to their doom. Hamlet has indeed 'delve(d) one yard below their mines.'
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app