PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
  Monday, 27 December 2010
  1 Replies
  1.7K Visits
  Subscribe
(I previously posted this in the "All's Well That Ends Well" category by mistake. I may have an angry mob from "All's Well That Ends Well" hot on my heels. Oh well, all may be well, in the end.)

I've been hooked on Hamlet since 1993. I have some original ideas about word play and themes in Hamlet (although I assert they're not really original because Shakespeare had them first).

I have a free ad-free self-published web-based book on Hamlet in http://www.thyorisons.com/ Be All My Sins Remembered. Part I is about what Shakespeare tells us about Hamlet. Part II is what Hamlet tells us about Shakespeare. Part III is a short autobiography in which I apply symbolism and themes from Hamlet to my own life in order to explain how I learned to hate the Bomb (and what that has to do with Hamlet).

"Who's there?" The rest of the play answers that initial question. Hamlet is the "glass of fashion" and most of the other characters reflect some aspect of Hamlet. But who is Hamlet? A son of his warrior father, but also one who "could be bounded in a nut shell and count myself a king of infinite space." Hamlet the soldier rants in golden couplets of warlike noise, while Hamlet the scholar unfolds himself through inaction and silence. But to be true to himself, Hamlet has to recognize that he is both soldier and scholar. He is the princely soldier who courageously returns to the fate awaiting him in his native soil (a graveyard). But he is also the gentle scholar who confesses the sins of his warlike nature.

There are a number of interlocking motifs in Hamlet which reveal much about Hamlet's character and the themes of the play. In the following essays, motifs, metaphors, puns, and wordplay are the keys to the themes of Hamlet.

Here is my most important discovery:

Hamlet
...some necessary question of the play be then to be considered...

Hamlet
To be, or not to be: that is the question.

Hamlet
...for look, where my abridgement comes.

Bernardo
I think it BE no other but e'en so:
Well may it sort that this portentous figure
Comes armed through our watch; so like the king
THAT was and IS THE QUESTION of these wars.

The "necessary question of the play." for Hamlet is "TO BE OR NOT TO BE" . . . . "so like the king THAT was and IS THE QUESTION of these wars."
Welcome, Ray. I removed your posting in the other forum. No worries at all.

Very interesting observations. :)
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app