PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Love's Labour's....Won?

Love's Labour's....Won? 1 year 7 months ago #7088

• Gary
  • Junior Player
  • Thank you received: 1
Upon my research, it seems that Love's Labour's Won could be one of the First Folio pieces, just known under a different name now....and is not actually completely lost after all!

What are your thoughts on which play it could be, and why?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Love's Labour's....Won? 1 year 7 months ago #7090

• Ron Severdia
  • Scholar
  • Thank you received: 23
Hello Gary,

The RSC and a number of scholars contend that Love's Labour's Won is actually Much Ado About Nothing. Here's a little background:

www.rsc.org.uk/whats-on/loves-labours-won/usually-known-as.aspx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Love's Labour's....Won? 1 year 7 months ago #7091

• Gary
  • Junior Player
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Ron,

I hadn't seen the article, but was aware that the RSC will be doing this in March (also, both of which happen to be on at my local cinema for their productions so I can at least try to see it there!)

Something hadn't seemed right to me though that it is Much Ado About Nothing - even though I can understand the points being made in the article.

After doing some first quarto researching, today in fact, I quite like the idea of Taming of A Shrew (not Taming of The Shrew) to be one of the stronger contenders. Yes, it is true that these are both almost identical plays, these do both offer different scenarios and characters throughout. The earliest date I can find for A Shrew on a brief search is 1598 also, so these dates could marry.

On the whole, though, I like to believe that LLW is a play that has been lost in the ether - after all, wouldn't the character names have carried forward at least - and with the tasks set forth at the end of LLL, these hold very good staging point for the sequel!

Another take, which is already proven false in the Palladis Tamia, due to character names would be that of Romeo and Juliet. Perhaps this is the fabled Rosaline that Romeo adores so much, and also shows the very reason as to why he cannot have her...
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app