The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Patrick Stewart's MacBeth

Patrick Stewart's MacBeth 4 years 3 weeks ago #6657

• Rick Pearlstein
  • Neophyte
So I watched Patrick Stewart's MacBeth and I couldn't get through the whole thing. Not because of Mr. Stewart's performance, quite the contrary. It was the direction that killed it for me.

I just couldn't get past the damn artsy fartsy nonsense that they added to it. Not unlike Julie Taymore's Titus there was not continuity to the time period or setting. And there were many scenes that just didn't ring true.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those who gets upset when they change the setting of the Bard's work. As a matter of fact I have performed in two Shakespeare production in the last year. Much Ado About Nothing, which the director set in New Orleans in 1945 during Mardi Gras. And also Titus Andronicus which the director set as two warring biker gangs.

I particularly was dismayed when the Wyrd Sisters started rapping. Come on REALLY?

As far as performances go, Stewart was wonderful as was all the cast.

Bringing the Bards work to contemporary settings and times is a great thing. That's what amazes me most about his work that it effects us some 500 years later. But let's stay respectful to the vision eh?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app