PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
New

Robin

Tuesday, 10 July 2007
  1 Replies
  779 Visits
  Subscribe

Robin is Falstaff’s page, but is not the most faithful of servants. 

Read More
11 years ago
·
I am playing Robin in our school's production of this play and I think there's more to him than meets the eye. I truly believe he's one of the most undervalued and underplayed characters in this play. The way I play Robin is as someone who looks up to Falstaff. The back story we came up with is that Robin was in deep trouble, maybe facing jail, and Falstaff saved him from that. He tries to emulate his master, because Falstaff is someone who has shown him the only bit of kindness in his life. We also play Pistol, Bardolph, and Nym as females, so Robin is trying to practice the skills he learns from Sir John with them, which rarely work. When he meets Mistress Page however, he falls for her hard. She is the anti-thesis to everything he is, and he doesn't like what he is. He knows she loves Master Page, but contents himself with being her servant and turning on Falstaff. She gives him the strength to leave Falstaff's service, and seek better employment (In our version, he ends up as a page to the Ford family, and helps take final revenge on Falstaff. There is so much that can be done with Robin, and like many of Shakespeare's characters, he could have his own play written about him.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Get the Shakespeare Pro app