The Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet
By William Shakespeare

Directed by Russell Slater
An OPUS Performing Arts Community Production
March 5th to 13th

Hopgood Theatre
Noarlunga, South Australia
http://opus.net.au/

Romeo & Juliet has come to be regarded as the greatest romance ever written. In this production we strip away the modern romantic interpretation and present the raw tragedy of Shakespeare’s most popular play as it was written in 1595. In a community paralysed by violence, two children from warring families fall into a forbidden love. Broken apart by rage, hatred and revenge in a lawless society, stripped of each other, our two young lovers take their life’s.

This 400 year old tragedy has never been more relevant than it is to today’s world we live in. In this stirring, modern production we explore the delicate balance of beauty, anger, destruction and hope that is the lasting legacy of Shakespeare’s words. This is a production that will challenge those who know the play, and inspire a new love for those who have never before seen Shakespeare’s work performed.
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet 6 years 10 months ago #4918

• rusty
  • Senior Player
  • Thank you received: 6
Media Release 3rd February, 2010

The Bard's Work in South Australia

In March OPUS Performing Arts breaks exciting new ground with our first Shakespeare production. The Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet opens on the 5th of March and I have the proud honour of directing this wonderful and timeless play. We have been able to assemble a great cast mixing experienced Shakespearean actors and some wonderful young local talent who leapt at the rare opportunity of performing the Bard’s work in the Southern region. I myself come from a busy history of studying, performing and directing Shakespeare in Melbourne and more recently Adelaide and am excited to present this production that will prove to be not only entertaining and challenging, but a true presentation of the play consistent with how we believe it was intended to be performed.
Romeo & Juliet has come to be regarded as the greatest romance ever written. In this production we strip away the modern romantic interpretation and present the raw tragedy of Shakespeare’s most popular play as it was written in 1595. In a community paralysed by violence, two children from warring families fall into a forbidden love. Broken apart by rage, hatred and revenge in a lawless society, stripped of each other, our two young lovers take their lives.
This 400 year old tragedy has never been more relevant than it is to today’s world we live in. In this stirring, modern production we explore the delicate balance of beauty, anger, destruction and hope that is the lasting legacy of Shakespeare’s words. This is a production that will challenge those who know the play, while inspiring a new love for those who have never before seen Shakespeare’s work performed.
With many local schools studying Romeo & Juliet as their text this year we are pleased to announce that we have scheduled a schools matinee (12th March) which will allow students to develop their understanding of this wonderful play by seeing it performed live and being able to speak with the actors after the performance. This link with schools is another new approach by OPUS this year and one that we hope will set the groundwork for providing an ongoing service and benefit to the development of a love of Shakespeare in our local youth.
In the upcoming weeks I will be sending out a second media release including promotional images. I would like to thank you for your support of theatre and appreciate any coverage, listings or reviews you could give this production. If you require any information please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
The Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet will be performed at the Hopgood Theatre, Noarlunga on the 5-6th & 11-13th March at 7.30pm and a Matinee will be held on Saturday 13th March at 2.30pm. Tickets are $20 ($15 concession). Bookings 8186 3481 or www.opus.com.au. Opus Performing Arts Community has been the resident drama group at the Hopgood Theatre (formerly Noarlunga College Theatre) since February 2002. Opus was originally formed to enable opportunities for people in the southern suburbs to participate in high quality theatrical events and to support the staff at the theatre. Opus produces a regular season of shows, including the annual Pantomime, Musical, Drama and Comedy.
Kindest Regards

Russell Slater
Director – The Lamentable Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet
Chairman OPUS Performing Arts Community
Mobile: +61430 19 2121
Email: russell@rdlj.net
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app