The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Rape of Lucrece - Olivier Nominee and 5 Stars at Edinbur

The Rape of Lucrece - Olivier Nominee and 5 Stars at Edinbur 6 years 6 months ago #4972

• Gerard Logan
  • Neophyte
Hello all,

I hope you are having / have had a lovely Easter.

My name is Gerard Logan, I am an Olivier award-nominated actor, and I won 5 stars at the 2008 Edinburgh Festival for my one-man presentation of Shakespeare's narrative poem, "The Rape of Lucrece".

The reaction to "R of L" from both audiences (including schools' audiences) and bookers has, I am grateful to say, been phenomenal.

Following on from Edinburgh, and after a sell-out runs at The Kings Head Islington, The Rose Kingston, and The Rose Bankside (a theatre which pre-dates Shakespeare's Globe by around 400 years), I have just finished runs at the Fisher Theatre Bungay, The Nightingale Theatre Brighton (for the 2009 Brighton Festival) and The Seagull Theatre Lowestoft, and I am booked for further 2009 dates at the Havlyst Theatre Ramme Gaard (Norway), Theatr Clwyd, The Arts Educational School (Tring), Pipers Corner and the Dorchester Arts Centre.

I have secured further Spring and Winter 2010 bookings at the following venues:
Stahl Theatre (Oundles School, Peterborough),
Bedales Olivier Theatre,
Artrix (Bromsgrove),
Underground Theatre, Eastbourne,
Taliesin Arts Centre (Wales),
the Eastgate Theatre (Peebles),
the Bowhill Theatre (Selkirk),
the Eastwood Park Theatre (Glasgow),
the Alnwick Playhouse,
the Lowry Theatre Studio (Salford),
the Lincoln Drill Hall,
the Lichfield Garrick Theatre studio,
the Cheltenham Everyman Studio,
the Torch Theatre (Milford Haven),
the Paisley Arts Centre (Glasgow),
the Wyeside Arts Centre,
the Ellen Terry Barn Theatre,
the Wexford Arts Centre (Eire),
the Friar's Gate Theatre (Eire),
Canolfan Ucheldre Centre (Anglesey),
the Mumford Theatre (Cambridge),
the Palace Theatre (Kilmarnock),
the Tacchi-Morris Centre (Somerset),
the Galway Town Hall (Eire),
the Guildhall Arts Centre (Grantham),
the Rhodes Arts Complex (Bishops Stortford),
the Quay Arts Centre (Isle of Wight),
the Octagon Theatre (Bolton),
Theatre on the Steps (Shropshire),
the Rosehill Theatre (Cumbria),
Ardhowen Theatre (Co Fermanagh),
Riverfront Theatre (Coleraine), and
the Arc Theatre (Trowbridge).

Most recently, I have had bookings confirmed at the Art Carnuntum Festival, Austria (July 4th), the Byre Theatre St Andrews (5 shows this August), the Loughborough Town Hall (September), the Studio at Salisbury Playhouse (2 shows in January 2011), the Burton Taylor Studio at the Oxford Playhouse (2 shows in March 2011) the Gordon Craig Theatre, Stevenage (June11th), the Pyramid and Parr Hall, Warrington (October 15th), the Cut, Suffolk (September 18th), the Marine Theatre, Lyme Regis (July 9th), the Point, Eastleigh (October 13th) and re-booked at the Fisher Theatre, Bungay (Spring 2011).

The bookings, I am very grateful to say, are pouring in and, as I write, I currently have strong interest from a further fifty one regional theatres in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

I am delighted to report that Sir Trevor Nunn, who came to the performance at The Rose, Kingston, said it was "...sensational....", Gyles Brandreth also saw the show that night and emailed me afterwards saying it was "...a stunning performance.....Shakespeare at his most wonderful....solo theatre at its best...", and Simon Callow, who saw the show in Edinburgh, said it was "..quite brilliant...".

On the back of the success so far, earlier this year we recorded a CD of our production which went on release last month and is, we hear, doing well (amongst other retail outlets, it is on sale at the National Theatre).

Might you be interested in seeing the show at some point soon? I would be delighted if you could come. I am back up in Scotland this week for the first time since Edinburgh.

You'll know that, essentially, the piece is about the dreadfulness of the crime of rape and its consequences for all concerned (including the perpertrator).

It is a work of searing brilliance by Shakespeare.

Our production of "R of L" runs at approximately one hour, can be performed within pretty much any setting, however large or intimate, and, if Edinburgh and subsequent performances are anything to judge by, grips audiences across the social-spectrum regardless of their theatre-going experience or lack thereof.

It is directed by the brilliant Gareth Armstrong, who has created many successful solo shows including his own award-winning "Shylock".

In performing "Rape of Lucrece" our aim is to give audiences a fresh sense of the magic of the spoken-word and a new, visceral impression of the greatest theatre-wizard who ever lived.

At any rate, my Spotlight PIN is number so you can view my CV and photo (just go to

and enter my PIN number in the "Looking for an Artist" box at the top left - you will be brought straight to my page).

Should you wish, you can also read a selection of my all my reviews to date at "Remote Goat" link below. Just click on the link and then, once you have been brought to my page, click on the links for the reviews in "Reviews of Event" box on the mid right below the poster image. I attach a Word doc of some reviews from Edinburgh Festival audience members as well.

You can see short film about the production (consisting of a brief excerpt from the show as well as an interview with myself), as well as details of all my upcoming dates if you go to my website at

Many thanks in advance for giving this your attention, and I hope to see you at one of my shows soon.

Very kind regards,

Spotlight PIN: 7838-0165-1091
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app