PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Information on Shakespeares original performance conditions?

Information on Shakespeares original performance conditions? 9 years 3 months ago #1370

• Flyleaf
  • Neophyte
I need anything, literally anything I can get on Shakespeares original performance conditions.

Anyone whos acted in a play of Shakespeare, any information, any specific ways you had to act?

Any websites, books, anything I can get will be of such amazing help to me.

I need to knowhow plays were staged and performed in the 16th and 17th century, the particular style of acting, the way in which the shape and structure of the theatre affected the audience's experience of the plays, the way in which plays were relevant to the elizabethan audience and more...

Anything :D
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Information on Shakespeares original performance conditions? 9 years 3 months ago #1374

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
The best resource for this is David Bevington's Wide & Universal Theater. It covers perfomance in the Elizabethan period, current styles and a comparison of the two.

Generally, since Stanislavski, acting has become a more "naturalized" style and that also applies to Shakespeare. There are also technical aspects that are emphasized like Linklater's technique for voice, Feldenkrais or Alexander techniques for body movement, and various types of textwork (styles in this area vary a bit as well).
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app