PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1837

• paulrobertwagner
  • Senior Player
Today I received a catalog from "The Great Courses," an outfit that makes available college and graduate level courses on tape, CD, and DVD. I've never used them before, but noticed they are currently having a 70% off sale on select courses, including William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories and Tragedies. The Shakespeare course is a series of 36 half hour lectures on 16 of the Bard's plays by Professor Peter Saccio of Dartmouth College (and author of the book Shakespeare's English Kings). If I get it on CD or tape, I could listen it in the car during a long commute and enhance my knowledge of these plays.

Here's the relative link:

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/ttcx/Cou ... h+Language

I haven't ordered it yet, so feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1845

• Tue Sorensen
  • Expert Player
I was quite impressed with Saccio's lectures, and subsequently even ordered his book "Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle and Drama". It's great value for money.

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1847

• paulrobertwagner
  • Senior Player
sorensonian wrote:
I was quite impressed with Saccio's lectures, and subsequently even ordered his book "Shakespeare's English Kings: History, Chronicle and Drama". It's great value for money.

Sorensonian -- where and when did you hear him speak?

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1850

• akfarrar
  • Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
This might not be what you are after - but for any others it might be worth a look:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C02AA306

At an easier level:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01A177

There is also a lot of free stuff at:

http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/

But apart from the Marlowe and the introductions to plays and poetry, little directly Shakespeare connectable.

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1851

• Tue Sorensen
  • Expert Player
paulrobertwagner wrote:
Sorensonian -- where and when did you hear him speak?

Oh, I didn't hear him in person; I am referring to the lecture course you speak of. I listened to it about a year ago, if I recall correctly.

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1854

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Peter Saccio has several DVD/CD series that are all worth the seemingly inflated prices they go for. I own them all and can fully recommend them.

The Great Courses: William Shakespeare's Comedies, Histories 8 years 7 months ago #1856

• paulrobertwagner
  • Senior Player
shakespeare wrote:
Peter Saccio has several DVD/CD series that are all worth the seemingly inflated prices they go for. I own them all and can fully recommend them.

Thanks for all of the great input. I just ordered the 18 Audio CDs for $54.95 (Reg. $269.95) plus the $10 Fed Ex fee. They also threw in a sample lecture with a professor they are considering adding to their "faculty": Christian Knighthood and the Origins of the First Crusade with a Professor Luongo. It should arrive Monday or Tuesday, and I'm pretty pumped.

The condensed reading list for the Shakespeare course -- http://www.teach12.com/store/courseInfo ... agedies#C4
-- indicates Dr. Saccio uses the 4th edition of The Complete Works of Shakespeare edited by David Bevington (1997). Other individual editions are listed, of which I only have one (The Arden 3 Julius Caesar by Daniel). I'm assuming that I will still get a great deal out of the course if I go back and forth between my copies of the Pelican (2002) and the RSC (2007).
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app