PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Why is this play considered "Beautiful"

Why is this play considered "Beautiful" 8 months 5 days ago #7175

• trumpsanidiot
  • Neophyte
Most of the characters are idiots... Romeo is a creepy stalker. The play is filled with sexual allusions.
I can't comprehend how anyone can see this play as "beautiful."
I get why its a comedy. Its funny to laugh at how stupid Shakespeare's characters are, and some of the innuendoes are funny, but, not beautiful.

The dialog is sometimes beautiful, but I cannot fathom how anyone could think that the play as a whole is beautiful.
Last Edit: 8 months 5 days ago by trumpsanidiot. Reason: grammar and shit.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Why is this play considered "Beautiful" 8 months 5 days ago #7176

• Ron Severdia
  • Scholar
  • Thank you received: 23
You should try and put the story in the context of 400 years ago. Maybe Romeo would be looked at as a "creepy stalker" today, but it wasn't the case at the time.

First of all, romantic teenage love is looked upon as "beautiful" when you are much older. You remember your first boyfriend/girlfriend, how impetuous you probably were, the stupid things you did, or the silly things you said. This is a normal period of everyone's life and this is eloquently depicted in the play.

The fact that the love between the two families is forbidden because they hate each other, makes it all the more dramatic. This is a timeless situation that's very common even today. Cultures that have strict rules or racial prejudices still forbid marrying outside of one's own religion, race or culture. The teens, very much in "puppy love", chose to go against those rules.

The consequences of their choice lead to a series of unfortunate events that result in their deaths. Juliet, thinking it was a good idea to drink a potion that made it seem like she was dead would be crazy today. But in that time, people very much believed in astrology, witchcraft, and medicinal drinks that could cure you of all kinds of diseases (they were really just water and herbs or other ingredients that didn't actually cure anything). Romeo, discovering Juliet's body, would be very distraught at the sight and could easily be so emotional and passionate about her so as to take his own life. Today's equivalent might be the situation when a teenage boy breaks up with a girl and she cries and swears she will never love anyone else. In truth, the sadness and heartbreak will pass, but in the moment it feels like the end of the world to her. It's similar to what Romeo felt and subsequently what Juliet felt when she finds Romeo has killed himself because he thought she was dead. Her "brilliant" plan was not really a good one—and has mortally failed.

When you consider the story of two young people in love, with the entire world against that love, and their passion and determination to be together, that's a beautiful thing. Love is above everything else, even enemies. But when that love ends in tragedy and causes more pain, Shakespeare shows us the flip side of the "coin of love"—the great euphoria is intrinsically linked to great pain. One doesn't exist without the other.

Why is this play considered "Beautiful" 6 months 3 weeks ago #7182

• Dan Maloney
  • Neophyte
I love your post, Ron.

Shakespeare's genius was staggering. He knew and understood everything of the human spectrum. He saw the human experience better than anyone I've ever read. He could see into the core of human emotion.

"Shakespeare - The nearest thing in incarnation to the Eye of God." -- Sir Laurence Olivier.

He captures that visceral experience of teenage love, when the passion of love is the most powerful in our lives, and the immaturity of our teenage years, when everything is new, scary, and awkward.

During this time we can't control our passions, and we are without the cynicism and the caution that comes as we get older. The love feels so pure, so furious.

It's a powder keg just waiting to go off, as well as it's a forbidden relationship that comes from two warring families.

The violence of the love and the conflict of the families are captured perfectly. I have heard about teenage love suicide pacts in today's world, and even though Romeo and Juliet didn't have a suicide pact, the outcome is still the same.

Basically, my point is that what happened in the play is still mirrored in the modern world, yet we can't quite see the the why's of the development of the human nature involved. Shakespeare could see it perfectly.

And we see at the end the tragedy that makes the play beautiful. There were only a couple of minutes between Romeo's suicide and Juliet's waking, which, had they waited, would have changed everything. But they were too young and too passionate. Their love for each other saw them both kill themselves.

Cheers.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app