PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: More links!

More links! 8 years 3 months ago #2255

• Gedaly Guberek
  • Neophyte
The link section with its comprehensive list of various Shakespearean institutions and theatres is impressive, but I'd like to see more research-related resources at the bottom with the student/teacher (and maybe actor/director?) resources. After all, if this site is to be the ultimate resource, it must give everyone a way to find what they need just in case it isn't here. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

More links! 8 years 3 months ago #2256

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
Thanks for the suggestions. If you have any specific links you'd recommend, feel free to post them here. Yes, those links (and other resources in general) on this site are in a constant state of development/improvement. :)

More links! 8 years 3 months ago #2257

• Gedaly Guberek
  • Neophyte
Well here's a few that I find useful on occasion...

http://molcat1.bl.uk/treasures/shakespeare/search.asp
http://internetshakespeare.uvic.ca/index.html
http://shakespeareauthorship.com/
http://www.shaksper.net/

There are more, but I have to find them again.

Who else has some?

More links! 8 years 3 months ago #2258

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
I should also add that while we're happy to add links to resources, the policy we created a while back was that those resources also needed to link back to us. This is a completely fair reciprocal policy which helps to ensure each site promotes the other in an equal fashion. There have been a few Web sites (large and small) which have requested we add a link, but wouldn't link to us on their site. That's unacceptable and just plain self-serving.

While were on the subject, how would you handle linking to a site that "competes" with PlayShakespeare.com? If we don't currently have competing resources, we probably will in the future and would ideally replace those sites, providing a one-stop shop for people looking for information about Shakespeare.

More links! 8 years 3 months ago #2259

• Marcus
  • Neophyte
Just my two cents, but I say link to every site your users will find useful. It sort of turns me off that you might not link to a really useful resource, just because it's a competitor or because they don't link back.

Be generous.

The way to be the one-stop shop is to have the best content. On the web, links are part of the best content.

More links! 8 years 3 months ago #2261

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
Well, I think we've been quite generous so far. The links section was initially only theatres and that has expanded to include associations, institutions and other resources—very few of which (as far as I know) have reciprocal links. So it has already gone beyond the scope of its original goal.

I mean really... how hard is it to add a link? I don't think it's asking much at all, especially considering what's available on this site so far. It was a policy established a while back when a large institution (who shall remain nameless) contacted me to add a link to their site. It was some kind of elitism to refuse a link to us, yet email us out of the blue for us to add a link to them. Oh well...in spite of this nothing's written in stone.

All that being said, this forum is more or less a free-for-all and it might make more sense having Student/Teacher resources and links in the Student or Teacher Resource areas of the forum?
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app