PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Android App

Android App 1 year 6 months ago #7104

• Scott Lazerus
  • Neophyte
I don't know if this is addressed elsewhere, but I am curious as to whether a "Pro" version of the Android app is in the works, or if I should give up that fond hope, as I'm not planning on joining the Apple corps anytime soon....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Android App 1 year 6 months ago #7105

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 18
Hello Scott,

No, the current version that exists will be the Pro version on Android. Over time, we will add the same features the Apple version already has, but charge for them a la carte instead of one flat fee (it will roughly add up to the same cost as the Apple version). The first Pro feature was Bookmarks (released in December) and more will follow.

Keep in mind that Android users in general are not willing to pay for Pro features. By and large, they expect it for free. And it's way too costly for us to spend tens of thousands of dollars on an app that nobody pays for. So far, the sales results for bookmarks (the second most requested feature besides notetaking) have been extremely poor. So that's not encouraging us to invest more in Android, but we'll continue to add a few more Pro features in this fashion to see how it plays out. If it doesn't pan out strictly from a financial perspective, we won't develop any new Pro features for Android.

Android App 1 year 6 months ago #7106

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
Just for the record, we spent almost $8,000 getting the app to where it is today. And this is our total sales to date:

Android App 1 year 6 months ago #7107

• Scott Lazerus
  • Neophyte
Thank you for the reply!

Fair enough... I wasn't aware that there was such a significant additional cost involved in moving features you've already developed for Apple onto the Android platform, but I shouldn't be surprised. I'm an economist, and those numbers don't look good! For what it's worth, I'll buy the bookmark function, and try to make a donation at some point. The glossary feature was the one I was hoping for, though now I feel bad for asking :) I should add that I'm enjoying the app as is. Thanks again...

Android App 1 year 6 months ago #7108

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
Yes, the code written for iOS is completely unusable and in a totally different programming language than what's used for Android (or any other device). I'll add your vote for the glossary feature and thanks for the donation! You're now on our donors page. :)
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app