PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 6 months 3 weeks ago #7195

• Ralph Pochoda
  • Neophyte
Currently, when you sort by the line count, the list sorts alphabetically, not numerically (i.e. 1 is followed by 10, not 2). This is not helpful for comparisons. I'd think there's an easy fix. You might want to check the Play Lengths page. It sorts correctly.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 6 months 3 weeks ago #7197

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Ralph. It's fixed now.

www.playshakespeare.com/study/complete-s...peare-character-list

Let us know if you need anything else.

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 6 months 3 weeks ago #7198

• Ralph Pochoda
  • Neophyte
Thanks for the fix, but now there's another problem. If you sort the list in descending order by the line count, it doesn't agree with the line count on the Biggest Roles page. In fact, the order of characters isn't even the same. Line count taken from different sources?

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 6 months 3 weeks ago #7199

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
You are correct. They were out of sync and that's now fixed. There was a bug in the initial calculation that we fixed, but hadn't updated the table entirely. All good now.

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 6 months 3 weeks ago #7200

• Ralph Pochoda
  • Neophyte
You guys are fast. I thought the first bug would be an easy fix, changing a field type maybe. But I wasn't sure about syncing the tables.

Meanwhile, this is the first time I've seen Richard listed ahead of Hamlet. I just checked a few other sites, including ShakespeareLineCount.com, and they all have the reverse. Even more surprising is that the counts are all different. I would have thought definitive scholarship on this would have been settled centuries ago. Is this folio vs. quarto, or what?

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 6 months 3 weeks ago #7201

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
These counts are based on the editions on this website and our Shakespeare apps. Those editions were created from a combination of sources:

www.playshakespeare.com/text-sources

The methodology for line numbering/counts is based on a digital text format. This could have some variation in the total counts based on how the texts are presented. Read more about it in this blog post:

www.playshakespeare.com/blog/entry/why-a...ne-numbers-different

Sorting the Complete Shakespeare Character List by Lines 4 months 1 day ago #7222

• Steve Minkin
  • Junior Player
  • Thank you received: 4
I've hosted a great reading group for about six years, my third.

After the first few plays, which I hand-counted, I discovered a wonderful site from the UK called Republic of Heaven which had line counts for ALL the characters broken down by scene as well as act. That site is now down, but I have many of the spread sheets with the numbers still in my computer.

I've also just completed a hand-count of The Two Noble Kinsmen, our next play. After this, we will have read all the plays except for the three HVIs and HVIII.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app