PlayShakespeare.com: The Ultimate Free Shakespeare Resource
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Problematic issues in Two Gents

Problematic issues in Two Gents 8 years 6 months ago #2066

• William Shakespeare
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 19
There are a number of problematic issues in this play, not the least of which is how easily all is forgiven after was is basically an attempted rape. What are some of the other issues people have encountered? And, more importantly, how were those issues overcome in performance?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problematic issues in Two Gents 8 years 6 months ago #2067

• akfarrar
  • Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
I'll be getting back to you on that one- but I'll start off with - Is it a rape?

It has certainly been played as that (and therefore it is) - but can you justify a simpler interpretation from the script - and the answer is yes. As I mentioned in my BBC 'walk-through', Proteus reminds me of Demetrius (rather than Iago) at this point.

Hate to press certain buttons - but in the BBC performance you hardly noticed the issue (and, if it hadn't been for the bru-ha-ha about the scene, I am not sure I would have taken it as a significant issue).

(I'll be back)

Problematic issues in Two Gents 8 years 6 months ago #2089

• akfarrar
  • Professor
Another 'quick' thought - having just 'read-through' the play: An awful lot is left to the production.
The end seems very rushed, quick scene after quick scene.
I was also strongly reminded of two other plays - A Midsummer Nights Dream - where magic solves the problem of quick changes - and Henry IV (part 2) where Hal changes to Henry - an 'act of God' in a way.
There certainly are problems for the director and actors - but a successful production should overcome them?

Problematic issues in Two Gents 8 years 6 months ago #2117

• akfarrar
  • Professor
I think I'd say most of the 'problematic' issues are a result of a) reading rather than performing the play; and b) acting style.

In performance, I don't think most people in the audience even notice the 'issues' unless they have been pointed out through 'study' of the text. Over emphasis of the 'give away' - which results in the fainting - and is so very soon forgotten - rather than the reconciliation suggests a desire for a different play.

Modern psychological realism as a motive behind performance also sits uneasily with this play.
Moderators: William Shakespeare

Register
Forgot username  Forgot password
Get the Shakespeare Pro app